Highlander BBall Update

Brandon Bruce, Sports Contributor

The Boys Pingree Basketball team improves to 8-2 on the year and 4-1 so far in the month of January.  With impressive wins against Greens Farm (65-62) and LCA (97-48).   In the Lexington Christian game the Highlanders came out and put the ball in the basket, scoring 97 points, their highest scoring total of the year.  But in the two game stretch of Green Farms and LCA the defense was spectacular.  The guard combo of Chad Dicenzo and Ricky Arias combine for just under 5 steals a game and are strong presences on opposing teams guards. However the Highlanders suffered their first NEPSAC loss at the hands of Governors Academy.  In a game at Governors the Highlanders started out the game without energy and soon paid for it with an embarrassing 72-53 loss, their highest opposing point total of the year.  In the words of coach Gibbs “We got out worked, out hustled and out executed tonight.  Let’s respond”.  In the words of Junior guard Ricky Arias “We didn’t play Pingree basketball, we just weren’t ourselves.  It just seemed like they wanted it more. They took no plays off and we couldn’t hit shots not to mention we got killed in the rebound category.  It’s a learning moment for us and it showed what we need to work on and that we aren’t as good as we thought.” Hopefully they can bounce back with their next two matchups being Portsmouth Abbey and Bancroft.

On the other hand the Girls  Varsity Basketball team (6-6) are riding a three game win streak with great outings against Portsmouth Abbey, and back to back wins against Newton Country Day.  After a tough three game skid to start January the Highlanders dug deep and completely reinvented themselves on the defensive side.  With at least 10 steals and 4 blocks in the last 3 games a piece.  Coach Latimer took over the team this year.  The beginning of the year they experienced great growing pains but now it seems as if they are gelling better than ever.  Another positive is that this team has two offensive standouts in Emily O’sullivan and Colby Shea, both averaging double figures in scoring.  These girls can really put the ball in the basket, both possessing great mid-range jumpers, but as they say offense wins games but defense wins championships and this team has no shortage of defensive stoppers!  Pingree seniors Lexi McNinch Meg Foye and Gabby Assad all present bring a great defensive presence to every game, each averaging more than a steal a game.  Hopefully this Highlander squad can keep up this hot streak as they have big games against Winsor and Dana Hall this week.