No Trembling at Tremblant

Hannah Wilson, Editor-and-Cheif

The Pingree Ski Team began December break with its second annual trip to Tremblant, Canada, a popular area for skiing in Quebec. The team stayed in Tremblant from December 16th through December 19th and spent the time not only developing their skiing skills but also furthering their spirit and enthusiasm as a group through team bonding exercises. The majority of the team was able to participate.

The team’s seniors, Alexis Lynch, Billy Liptrot, Lucas Filosa, Grace Beatty, and Izzy Davidson,  had a significant role in planning the trip. They requested for the team to complete surveys inquiring what students had enjoyed about the trip the previous year, and they organized more bonding activities in accordance to the results. Coaches, Mr. Vantuyl and Mr. McCollom, assisted in the planning of the trip as well. In hopes of cultivating new friendships, they organized the rooms and chaperoned the trip, along with Pingree parent Mr. Rose, Mr. Fitzpatrick, Mrs. Fitzpatrick, and Mrs. Vantyl.

During the three days in Tremblant, the students skiied individually as well as in groups. They were often allowed to choose whom to ski with in the morning, and in the afternoon, they had full team practices. At afternoon practices, they worked together to enhance their skiing skills through gate specific practices. Captain Alexis Lynch ’17 explained how she believes these afternoon drills have helped her team: “I think it instilled a sense of confidence in them.” The team spent time trying other activities as well, including ice skating, shopping, dining and scavenger hunts. Captain Billy Liptrot believes that these activities were very beneficial in team bonding as the travellers were able to view each other removed from the lenses of skiing competion. He shared “I feel from this trip that I was able to invest myself in the team for the period of three days, as opposed to just an hour practice. Through scavenger hunts, dinners, ice skating, and the long bus rides, the team was able to bond both on and off the slopes”.

As the team returns to Pingree for the remainder of the season, their captains hope they will remember the excitement of skiing down the Tremblant slopes together and become a more connected and inspired community. The Tremblant trip was intended to promote positive relationships within the ski team and to engage students in conversation centered around a topic they all love, skiing,  and according to Captain Lynch it was “the best mini vacation ever.”