Ballin’, Shootin’ and Scorin’ at the EIL’s

Iria Gutierrez- Scheiferl, Guest Writer

The Pingree Girls Varsity Basketball team had a proud season. Not only did they kick off their season with a legendary game at the TD Garden, but they continued throughout their season working hard. An overall outstanding record of 12-10 for the girls. Their last in season game was an illustrious 65-48 win, and highlights included Emily O’Sullivan ‘18 leading with 21 points to finish the game.

The Pingree girls didn’t stop with their in-season games but they went on to play in EIL’s on February 25th against Beaver. The girls played hard, beat Beaver and went on to take the well-deserved EIL Championship. In Pingree’s history, the Girls Varsity Basketball hasn’t won the EIL Championship since 2006. Senior Captain Gabby Assad quotes the Beaver game as one of her favorite moments of the season because it redeemed them from their tough loss against the same team a few weeks before.  “The first game we lost by a half court buzzer beater shot with 8 seconds left.  It was really tough bouncing back from that loss and after that we just kept preparing for the second time we would play them and get our revenge.” Assad attributes the close games victory against one of their biggest rivals to preparation and the team’s motivation in practice. The hard work paid has paid off for Pingree girls varsity basketball. “Seeing how happy our coach was and everyone on the team was in the locker room after the game made everyone feel as though our hard work has finally paid off.” It was an unforgettable win, especially for seniors as they can now come back and see the Girls Varsity Basketball’s name printed up on the banners in the Athletic Center with commendable pride.

Colby Shea ‘19 was named NEPSAC Class B All-Star. She was also named EIL All Star along with Emily O’Sullivan ‘18.  Lexie McNinch ‘17 was given an EIL Honorable Mention. These players weren’t the only stars of the team… As captains Meg Foye and Gabby Assad were asked to give out their own MVP award to a player on the team that they will remember as they leave their basketball careers behind, both Gabby and Meg struggled to decide. In such a talented group of girls it was hard to find one valuable player. They all worked hard as one for every victory. Gabby shared her pride in the girls as explained how each and every player brought the team forward throughout the season. The girls supported each other and never ceased to support each other.

“Colby is an amazing head of the offense as the point guard and could always get plays started and dominate the offense with her will to get to the basket.  Emily was very vocal and could help the team out and tell them what to do, along with her amazing three point shooting.  Meg’s speed allowed us to get so many points on face breaks.  Lexie was definitely our top defensive player as we all trusted her to guard the best player on the opposing team and come down with every rebound, despite being one of the shortest girls on the team. Tiana, Allison, Holly, and Cam were amazing supporters for everyone on and off the court.  They gave everyone confidence in their skills and could always make us smile. They also all brought a great deal of skill, intensity, and leadership to the court that we were all so grateful for. Sarah, Liv, Rianna, and Lexi all did the same, providing great support and definitely a lot of skill which I look forward to seeing/hearing about in their years to come.”

All the girls brought something unforgettable to the team and the season. The Girls Varsity Basketball team will inspire teams in the future to create a cohesive team as good as the one of 2017 in the years to come.