North Korea’s Nuclear Bomb: Trump’s Aggressive Action

Kiersten Wood, Guest Writer

North Korea has inhabited a communistic dominion, a nation paranoid of infiltration by other global powers. By steadily producing weaponry and nuclear bombs, North Korea has attempted to prepare for defensive measures.  Before leaving office, former president Barack Obama warned Donald Trump about a possible crisis in North Korea.  

There have been reports that the Supreme Leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-un, was planning to test an improved nuclear weapon. Upon learning of the reports, President Trump immediately called for a meeting with Chinese leader, Xi Jinping, in order to discuss a possible alliance to persuade North Korea against further exploration regarding nuclear warfare. Due to the vital trading relationship between North Korea and China, Xi Jinping plays a vital role in relations with the North Korean leaders and government. Although Obama had previously utilized a hands-off method in Korean relations, Trump has declared he will moderate North Korea’s usage of nuclear weaponry. On Twitter, Trump threatened North Korea, in response to the possibility of yet another nuclear test, by warning, “North Korea is looking for trouble. If China decides to help, that would be great. If not, we will solve the problem without them! U.S.A.” Along with a new president, America has adopted a new aggressive attitude towards North Korean affairs.

Recently, Vice President Mike Pence stated that the Trump administration is also working with Japan to rein in North Korea: “We appreciate the challenging times in which the people of Japan live with increasing provocations from across the Sea of Japan. We are with you 100 percent.” Pence continued to explain his discouragement of warfare with the North Korea. While in Tokyo, he remarked, “All options are on the table, and there they will remain. But … the most productive pathway forward is dialogue among the family of nations that can isolate and pressure North Korea.” Despite the paranoia, North Korea did not end up testing a nuclear bomb, and, instead, tested a mediocre missile – a test which failed.

As the tension escalates, Trump stated last week that the US will be “sending an armada” that is  “very powerful”  to the Asian country. Pence warned North Korea to stay away from facing the intensity of the United States’ government, commenting, “North Korea would do well not to test [Trump’s] resolve.” One question taunts our country: Will Donald Trump be able to handle this global crisis by accepting an unappealing compromise, or will his pride push our country to the edge of international warfare?

We can only hope that our new Presidential administration pulls back from this rhetoric and eases the tension between our nation and the unpredictable North Korea. We can only hope that Trump doesn’t lead our country to war.