My Final Year in Retrospect

Back to Article
Back to Article

My Final Year in Retrospect

Katherine Doherty, News Editor

How do you begin to describe senior year? To being, trimester one is a blur of Naviance, SAT’s and ACT’s, piles of homework from teachers, and basically living in your college counselor’s office. And  two seconds into trimester one, indicators came rolling in out of nowhere. Senior Fall had some fun aspects, like cheering on the new freshmen that came in. It was also very exciting to have the nice wooden lockers as well as the senior bench. You also get to have more freedom with your schedule. There are more options for electives to take and you begin to get a sense of what you are interested and passionate about. The best thing that came out of trimester one was getting open-campus and being allowed to leave during free periods.

Before you know it, it’s Winter break, and you can take a quick breath before you are plunged back into trimester two. Now, you might be thinking, like I did, that trimester two would be a little bit more relaxed as a result of the college process being over. Trimester two was one of the hardest trimesters I had at Pingree. Not only are you panicking over what college will accept you (or reject you), there is still so much homework. It just doesn’t end. Then, the wave of hearing back from college starts. There are both good and bad tears. The one good thing about trimester two is that even if you mess up on a test or an assignment, the trimester is so unbearably long that there will be more tests and assignments to make up your grade. However, I’m not even joking when I say this, there is nothing longer than trimester two. It doesn’t help that it gets dark at 4pm, or that it’s freezing cold all the time. Combined with the fact that most of your free time is dedicated to writing your Senior Research Paper, and it seems like it never ends. But it’s really exciting because soon, all of your friends will be making their decisions on where they want to go for college.

Now let’s talk about trimester three. Most teachers and especially college counselors will say not to hop on the senior slide, but the truth is that teachers are still putting on a lot of work, making it pretty much impossible to slide. Also the realization that you will be leaving a place that you called your “home away from home” for the past four years. Trimester three is filled with minor existential crises along with the sadness that you are leaving your friends, teachers, and memories. I didn’t start realizing this until my class had the famous alumni lunch and then camped out in the senior area with our chairs. It’s basically a right of passage that signifies the beginning of the end. Only one month left until we are all off to college and planning for our future.

While senior year has been one of the most challenging and exhausting years I’ve had so far at Pingree, it has also been my most satisfying one. Each day I get closer to graduation, I realize how much I will miss being here with my friends. It’s been an exciting ride, and I can’t wait to see what my last month at Pingree holds in store for me.