Run for the Roses

Anna Sandt, Editor

On Saturday May 5, 2018, the 144th “run for the roses” Kentucky Derby took place in Churchill Downs, Tennessee. Horses who raced included Audible, My Boy Jack, Vino Rosso, Good Magic, Justify, Instilled Regard, Hofburg, and Bravazo. The Kentucky Derby is an annual horse race that began in 1875 as the first leg of the Triple Crown, a prestigious award that is given to the horse and rider who win the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes. The Kentucky Derby is one of the shorter races, at 1.4 miles, Preakness Stakes is about 1.3 miles, and Belmont Stakes is 1.5 miles, which is the longest event in thoroughbred racing. The top twenty horses in the world are eligible for the Derby.

A large part of the Kentucky Derby are the bets that are put on the horses. Viewers can place money on the horse they feel will win, and follow the live odds to see if their prediction will come true. This year the Gate Seven horse, Justify, was the betting favorite, with the odds of 3:1. Justify, an American thoroughbred, was not only the betting favorite, ended up becoming the winner of the 2018 Kentucky Derby. The two-year old colt became the first horse to win at such a young age since 1882. Justify’s trainer, Triple Crown winner Bob Baffert, is considering his recent success, one of his greatest feats. He has now trained five horses to win the Kentucky Derby.       

Days after Justify became the champion of the 2018 Kentucky Derby, a condition on the horse’s left hindfoot became apparent to Baffert, after he struggled to walk on it the morning after the Derby. But Baffert believes that the injury is nothing, calling it nothing more than a few scratches and that “[Justify] will be going back to the track in a couple of days and everything will be good,” he said. “He’s responding to the treatment. So we’re good.” Justify and Baffert will be heading to Pimlico, Maryland shortly to prepare for the second race of the Triple Crown: Preakness Stakes.