Election 2018 Update

Carter Segal and Julia Landman

Ballot Question 1:

This proposed law would limit how many patients could be assigned to each registered nurse in Massachusetts hospitals and certain other health care facilities.

Results: No

Ballot Question 2:

This proposed law would create a citizens commission to consider and recommend potential amendments to the United States Constitution to establish that corporations do not have the same Constitutional rights as human beings and that campaign contributions and expenditures may be regulated.

Results: Yes

Ballot Question 3:

This law adds gender identity to the list of prohibited grounds for discrimination in places of public accommodation, resort, or amusement. Such grounds also include race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, disability, and ancestry.

Results: Yes

The House of Representatives now has a Democrat majority, while the Senate has remained in Republican control. The Republican successfully defended their senate seats in Texas and Tennessee. Democrats, on the other hand, had some key gains in Colorado, New York, and Maine.

This year’s election also displayed how we are becoming more progressive as a country. 95 women were elected to the House of Representatives, surpassing the previous record of 84 women. Two candidates, Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar, have become the first muslim women to be elected into the House of Representatives. Jared Polis has become the first openly gay governor in America. He is also the first Jewish governor in Colorado. Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland had also become the first native american women to win a seat in the House of Representatives.

In Florida, Amendment 4 passes, which will restore voting rights to over 1.5 million felons. In both Missouri and Arkansas, minimum wage will be raised. In Missouri, the wage will rise to $11 from $8.50; Arkansas’s will increase to $12 from $7.85.