Trying to Defeat Trump

Lily Connors, Editor

Whether fueled by anger about the current administration or a reflection of the evolving political landscape, the 2020 presidential candidates are numerous and diverse. Currently, seventeen people have announced their bid for the election, fifteen being democrats and two being republicans. According to the New York Times, there are ten other people who will potentially announce their candidacy as the election year draws closer.

Out of the fifteen democrats that have already committed to running, six are women. Including: Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, California Senator Kamala Harris and Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar. Pete Buttigieg, Mayor of Small Bend Indiana, is the first openly gay man to run for president. Ideological differences between the democratic party candidates are vast as well. Presidential-hopefuls such as Bernie Sanders describes himself as a democratic socialist and Former Texas congressman Beto O’Rourke is focusing on promoting national unity. Main ideological threads between candidates include a focus on immigration reform, more equitable access to healthcare, legalization of marijuana and campaigning to appeal to younger voters.

According to NBC news political analysts, Kamala Harris, Cory Booker and Elizabeth Warren are among the top contenders to win the democratic party nomination.

California Senator Kamala Harris is the former attorney general of California and has previously worked as the San Francisco District Attorney. When she was elected as California senator she was the first woman of Indian or Jamaican descent to represent the state. As a junior senator she has led a progressive campaign for social justice in the senate, as well as focused on middle-class tax cuts. She supports medicare for all citizens, sanctuary cities and the passing of a DREAM act.

New Jersey Senator Cory Booker is the first African-American U.S. senator from his home state. He also has a background in law, studying at Oxford on a Rhodes scholarship and graduating from Yale Law. In 1998 he staged a hunger strike to increase media attention and government action on urban housing problems in Newark. He has been a long time fighter for LGBTQ+ rights and increasing affordable housing.

Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren has been a long time and staunch critic of Donald Trump and conservative Republicans. She also has a background in law and has previously taught law at Harvard University. She is focused on consumer protection, economic opportunity and school safety.

Those who are projected to announce their presidency include former Vice President Joe-Biden, Massachusetts Essex District Congressman Seth Moulton and 2016 Republican presidential candidate, John Kasich. Seth Moulton represents Hamilton and surrounding towns, and has focused on promoting bipartisan leadership, Veterans Association funding and economic growth in the state.

To the surprise of many, Oprah Winfrey and Bloomberg CEO Michael Bloomberg, as well as Hillary Clinton, will not be running for president.  

Despite early projections, as the country witnessed during the 2016 elections, early projections and polls do not always accurately represent the potential long term success of the current candidates. As more candidates cast their bid for office and the election draws near it will be engaging to see who pulls out in front, and if they have the potential to upset the sitting president.