Staying Committed

Domenic Garofalo, Editor

The college process is different for everyone, but students who commit to college for sports have an extremely different experience than many others. Recently, I  interviewed Kenzie Vasque ‘19 about her commitment. Vasque is committed to the University of Vermont for her excellence in lacrosse. She has already been added to the roster for UVM’s lacrosse team which is a Division 1 team. When I interviewed her, she gave me the rundown of her experience of being committed as well as some of the misconceptions of the commitment process.

For many underclassmen who play sports may be wondering, I asked Vasque about her introduction to the commitment process and her experience on how she was first approached by a coach. She responded with, “I was first introduced to the UVM coach in my club lacrosse team, which was specifically made for students to play and eventually get seen by college coaches. For me, this process began during 8th grade, but new regulations make it so that you cannot be contacted until your junior year. I ended up committing my sophomore year.” Many people also have misconceptions about the commitment process and believe that commitment is just an easy way out of the college process, but this process is just as stressful as applying without commitment. Kenzie continued, “Some misconceptions are that commits [students committed to a college for a sport] don’t have to get good grades when in fact, if your academic transcript and work ethic isn’t sufficient to get into the school on its own, you will likely not be considered for recruitment. Another  misconception is that committed athletes don’t have to go through the college process––while it is shortened and more narrowed, most of the college process actually has to be done earlier than other students.”

For those who are going through the commitment process and are worried about meeting their future teammates, I asked Kenzie how she was introduced to her teammates and how they began to bond. She assured, “I met my teammates through social media and through the University of Vermont’s summer camp. You will get to know your teammates very well before you actually attend the school, and one might end up being your roommate.”

Overall, the commitment process is a lot different than what many people believe it to be. The commitment process has its benefits and downfalls just like the traditional college process. The introduction to future teammates is also not as stressful as one may think, so it is better to be aware of that beforehand rather than an added stressor during the process. The New Columns and Kenzie Vasque hope that everyone’s college process, regardless of commitment or not, goes smoothly and with limited stress!